Friday, October 28, 2011

The Beauty of a Global Perspective

As if having the term "global perspective" as part of your mission statement were not reward enough, it is a sight to behold when we realize that perspective by embracing the traditions of another culture. Such was the case today in our school-wide celebration of Diwali - the Indian festival of lights.

Having participated in or viewed literally hundreds of holiday celebrations in schools over the years, I can honestly say that I am just about "pilgrim-ed", "Santa-ed", and "Valentine-ed" out, if there are such phrases. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy each of these holidays and especially the students' roles in them. However, I doubt very much I am going to learn anything new or exciting during a performance from any of them. There are only so many ways to explain the first Thanksgiving, and the songs alone for each holiday are forever embedded into my subconscious.

So it was with great anticipation that I looked forward to the celebration of Diwali today at Global School. For days, the children in Hindi class had been practicing their various roles, speeches, songs, and dances. In preparation too, some of our parents and the Hindi teacher, Mrs. Rao, had made Rangolis - geometrically designed works of art - at several places around the floor of our multi-purpose room. These were particularly beautiful examples of Indian art that children begin making from the age of four or five, and frequently each household has their own design. Ours were spectacular, made of colored rice, and part of the celebration today allowed the children in each grade to fill in their own.

Because the entire celebration also encompassed teaching the audience about the meaning of the holiday, virtually everyone - from kindergarten on up, parents and relatives - was engaged politely listening and viewing the childrens' presentation. A little nervous as always in front of their peers and parents, the students still managed to provide an exceptional performance. They were especially striking in their traditional Indian outfits and jewelry. It must be as the father of three daughters, that there is nothing cuter to me than lower school students dressed up in their finest Indian Sarees. Several of them promised to help me dress up next year as well - not in a Saree, of course - but in the traditional Indian male dress known as Kurta.

To top it all off, the faculty and parents brought a huge selection of different types of Indian food for the post-celebration feast. Even as shy as I am, I was soon eating some of the most delicious food I had ever seen - and I didn't even know its name - nor did I really care. It was truly a feast for the ages!

Finally, after all the singing and speeches, the dancing and the eating, the students were ushered outside for the traditional ending to the celebration - fireworks. However, in place of fireworks - and to the undying gratitude of our neighbors - the students pulled the strings on party poppers and popped several pieces each of bubble wrap - and loved it all!

The school person in me respects all of what I saw and experienced today. I learned a great deal about something new, witnessed students gleefully sharing their culture and traditions, and experienced the joy only a Head of School can when he or she actually sees everything come together in the watchful and attentive eyes of their students. I've never been prouder or more moved by a school celebration.

On the other hand, the kid in me has to admit I secretly enjoyed firing off a few poppers in the guise of "demonstrating" proper techniques to the students, and hopefully, no one will notice the several sheets of bubble wrap stuffed in my briefcase . . .

Happy Diwali!

No comments:

Post a Comment